Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Second day back

Today was the first full-fledged kettlebell workout in the Daily Burn DBK program. It's called DBK1, I guess. According to the schedule I'll be doing this one a total of seven times. There are 6 full kettlebell workouts that are alternated, also some yoga and mobility programs are mixed in, so a total of 3 kettlebell workouts are on the plan per week.

The workout was well done. It included some mobility/warm-up then continued to the meat of the program, which was several moves repeated for four times so that the moves that were single-sided were done twice on each side. The moves were done for time, so if you can't quite keep up with their pace, that is fine. I could tell the moves are prep work for proper form in the bread-and-butter kettlebell moves, which I assume we are building up to in later sessions. I'm very happy they do it this way. Even though I am experienced with kettlebells, it's great for me to review the basics and I'd question the program that starts right in without training proper movement. Although these were basic moves, that doesn't mean it was an easy workout. I ended up with plenty of sweat and I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow. Of course, the nice thing about working with weights is that if it doesn't feel challenging, just increase the weight. I used a 12kg kettlebell, lighter than I used to use for most things, but for where I am now, it was perfect. I assume that by round #7 of DBK1, I'll be using a 16kg or 20kg kettlebell. After the kettlebell section, we hit the yoga mat for yoga-style stretching.

I thought the cueing was good. The instructor (Cody Storey) had plenty to say on form and why we do it this way, etc. I think that's extra important in a video workout because nobody is there to point out when you are doing it wrong.

No comments: