Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My new running gear went running!

Yahoo, after a few intended running days that fell through, I finally got out to run.  Last night, I went to the store and bought some nice cold weather running gear.  Of course, I HAD to try it out this morning.  (Well, that was part of the point of buying new running gear, anyway.)

I got out of bed at 4:30am and hit the road at a little after 5am.  I had on my new Saucony DryLete XPT tights, an older thin running shirt, SmartWool running socks, my new Moving Comfort No Chill Hoodie jacket, and my new original Buff.  (See below for pictures.)  I wore the Buff around my neck for a while.  Very nice to keep out the wind.  I also tried it in a few other positions.  It's amazingly convertible.  It wouldn't stay around my mouth without also going over my head, kind of like a balaclava.  So, maybe I'll wear it that way.  Or, I have some fleece, maybe I'll make something similar to go along with it.  After the run, I wore it as a headband to keep my sweaty hear out of my face.  Nice!

At first I was a little worried that the jacket wouldn't be warm enough. But, after a bit it was fine.  In fact towards the end, my forearms were too warm.  Strange.  Also, the hood was too loose and kept falling down.  The tights were perfect.  These are the lighter of the two I bought.  My booty got a bit chilly, but nothing too bad.  They move nicely.  They aren't tight enough to be compression tights, but they don't flop around like pants would.  They are a great length.  I was worried about that, because although I'm an average height, I sometimes struggle with pants being too short.

The run went well.  It would have been even better if DJ Steve Boyett had been spinning the tunes for me, but my phone was about out of juice, so I had to plug it in during my run.  It was 38F with a chilly 7-8mph NW wind.  3.13 miles running for 3.22 miles total in a little over 37 minutes.  My heart rate graph was crazy high.  I was up around 190bpm for a good deal of the run.  It really didn't seem that hard, but I was huffing and puffing, I guess.  It was a definitely not a flat route, so maybe that contributed.  I'll try to remember to add the graph later.

I saw only four bunnies, but I also saw a dog with his walker and 2 (count them) TWO runners!


Saucony DryLete XPT Tight


  Moving Comfort No Chill Hoodie

Update: added my heart rate graph below... wow, that's high!  Is it because I hadn't run in more than 3 weeks?



No comments: