Monday, August 25, 2008

Gateway to 8k W1D1

Today I ran the first day of "Gateway to 8k" from Podrunner Intervals and DJ Beatsmith. I did most of the Couch to 5k program using his "First Day to 5k" podcasts. I really like the music, as I probably was a raver in a previous life (or an alternate life?) - without the drugs, of course.

The run was fine. I anticipate the progress to be satisfying as it was with C25K. However, I'm still not completely convinced this is what I want to do. The runs are getting longer, and frankly, I don't have all that much time. Add on to it that the daylight hours are getting shorter at an increasing pace and I have reservations about running on my own in the dark. I do it sometimes, but it's not as relaxing as when the sun is shining because I'm on higher alert. The good news is that the "kids" are back in town. I live in a college town and summers are relatively sparse. The streets were devoid of runners and walkers at odd hours. Now, with the students back, there will be more people out and about. Maybe that will help some.

There is also the Podrunner Interval "Freeway to 10K" available. That goes up to 90 minutes, I think. The 8k program extends the running to 50 minutes, if I recall correctly.

I'm thinking I might do two days of G28k and then a day of whatever I want, maybe a 5k at an increased pace.

3 comments:

Patrick Batty said...

Good luck with he program Melly. Hopefully with the students in town you'll feel OK with hitting the roads as it wont be so isolated.

BTW I've added your blog to my list.

Cheers
Batman

Shimmie Shaker said...

I am following the Couch to 5K program and just started week 5. It's been great so far and I'm looking forward to running in my first event at Thanksgiving.

I'm looking for programs that will take me beyond training for a 5K, but now that I've used podcasts, I can't imagine running without "someone" running along with me, giving me encouragement as I go. Have you found a good program you like?

Keep on running!

Melissa said...

Shimmie, right now I'm not doing the best. I was going to do the 8k program, but I need to keep my workouts to 40 minutes most of the time. So, I've just been running 30-35 minutes at a time. The Podrunner podcasts keep me going along. If you like spoken programs, there are a lot of those out there. I prefer music with a steady beat, though.
Good luck and great job getting to week 5!