Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Stage 4 complete! ... and a word on pulleys

Stage 4 of New Rules of Lifting for Women is complete!
I did only 2 sets of the last four exercises and I'm saving the intervals for another day.

Here are my weights:
Wide Grip Deadlift: 2@110#, 1@115# - not from box, since I'm already at a deficit
Bulgarian Split Squat: 3@30# - did I really do the second set??
Underhand Lat Pulldown: 2@5x105#/3x100#, 1@4x105#/3+1x100#
Rev Lunge from Box: 3@25#ea
DB Prone Cuban Snatch: 3@15#ea - tried 20# and it wasn't gonna happen
Swiss Ball Crunch: 2@28# overhead
Reverse Crunch: 2@30deg bench
Lateral Flexion: 2xHanna3
Prone Cobra: 2@2min

Now I'm due for a week or so break, then I'll be on to Stage 5!

Cable Stations and Pulleys
There was some question about the cable systems and what you are actually lifting, so I'm going to attempt to explain here. Pulleys can be used to create mechanical advantage (remember that?? levers and the like?). But the way they are set up changes how you pull the weight. The setup affects the amount of tension in the cable (i.e., the weight you pull) and the distance you pull the cable relative to how far the weight stack moves.

If you are using a simple one-pulley system, e.g., my lat pulldown station, the weight you pull is the same as the weight selected in the stack. In this setup, the weights will travel the same distance that the lat pulldown bar travels. See the diagram below.

Single Pulley Setup Diagram

In a two-pulley system, e.g., the cable station I use for woodchops and rows, the extra pulley creates a mechanical advantage, much in the same way using a lever would. The tension in the cable is half of the amount of weights I have selected. In return for having to lift less weight, I have to pull the cable twice as far. This actually works well for weightlifting because you want more pulling distance on some exercises. For example, when I do cable woodchops, I move about 5 or 6 feet from one side to the other. But, the weight stack only needs 2.5 to 3 feet of moving room to accommodate this exercise. I've seen people move a lot more distance than that for other exercises on this machine. See the diagram below.

Double Pulley Setup Diagram


Although, there are other ways of setting up pulley systems, you should be able to tell what you are using by examining the cable machine. I was the only one in the weight area today, so I snapped a few quick pictures of the cable machines I use. Note how the top of the weight stack differs as well as how the weights are reported on the sign on the machine. Sorry for the horrible quality of the pictures. I was using my cell phone, which has no flash!

Single Pulley Setup
Note: No pulley attached to weight stack
Single Pulley Weights

Double Pulley Setup
Note: Pulley attached to weight stack

Double Pulley Weights

3 comments:

iafuelrunner said...

Melly, in a Feb. blog you mentioned you had a new LG Rhythm that you used to run with. I just got my new phone yesterday and wondering which armband you used? please email me back if you get a chance. Thanks-AC in Ames
aaclancy at gmail.com

April said...

Very nifty blog. I'm doing the C25K program too (I'm about to do the first day of week three tomorrow) and will be doing New Rules of Lifting For Women when I move and have access to an awesome gym again. I really love the book and look forward to trying it out.

Good luck with everything, and again, very nifty blog.

Melissa said...

April and Alicia,
Thanks for stopping by!

April, New Rules is great. I have the original book ready for when I'm done, but I haven't read it yet. Good luck with C25K!!

Alicia, I took a picture of it. It's just a cheapo my husband had and wasn't using.