Thursday, September 11, 2008

G28K W3D1 - Bunnies, bunnies

Well, it's 6:07am and I finished the first day of week 3 of Gateway to 8K. Today I tried pushing it a bit harder. I am ultimately trying to improve my 5k time, so that should help. I tried to keep the pace normal and then during the last couple minutes of each run, I'd pick up the pace. For some reason, I doubt I ran faster, though. I had to walk pretty slow to get my HR down during those one minute intervals. (Today was 4x 9 minutes running with one minute walking in between.) Checking.... Map my run says I still only did 11.5 minute miles (including the three walking breaks) for 3.4 miles during 39 minutes. Granted, there were several hills, but darn it, I want to run FASTER!

During a few of the hills, I got in a very interesting zone. I focused on my form and my legs just carried me up the hill. It didn't seem hard, although I think my HRM would tell you otherwise. It registered a max HR of 184 today, although I didn't have it working for at least a portion of the first run. I almost felt like I was flying. Some of the hills took 2-3 minutes to run. Not huge, but enough to get my heart really pumping.

I hit the road at 5:20am. During my whole run, I didn't see one person that wasn't encased in wood or metal. Some people were leaving in their cars for work, but no other runners or walkers.

Although, I didn't see people, I did see plenty of bunnies. Most were alive, one wasn't. I think I should start a bunny count for each run. I wouldn't notice them, but when I get anywhere near, they scurry off, their bright white cotton ball tails advertising their location.

Time to start my day. Have a good one!

3 comments:

Patrick Batty said...

5:20 AM! Wow.
Your dedication is showing Melly.
Cheers
Batman

Melissa said...

Yeah, and I got up at 4:30am to do that! (Had to check emails first LOL!)

Daisy said...

Wow that is real determination. I couldn't get up at that time if my life depended on it ;) I'm more of a late night person :P